Surefire Signs You Need a Dehumidifier
There’s nothing worse than walking into a room and being hit by that heavy, dense humidity that’s so common in the summertime. However, while being subjected to humid conditions might be uncomfortable for your body, it can also be extremely detrimental for your home. That’s where dehumidifiers come in — the humidity-eliminating solution you’ve been waiting for. These five signs will help you tell if a dehumidifier will be beneficial in your home.
- Windows are fogging up. When the air is heavy with moisture, you’ll notice that your windows may fog and “sweat.” This is called condensation, and is a result of the warm, moist air coming into contact with a cooler surface — your window.
- Mold is popping up. Tiny yellow or green mold spots might start showing up in corners of the room on walls and ceilings. While bathrooms are the most likely culprit for this occurrence, basements, closets and other poorly ventilated areas can fall victim to mold in humidity as well.
- Musty odors are rising. Along with mold and mildew comes the familiar musty scent they expel. Think — “grandma’s old, stinky basement.” If you start smelling this unpleasant odor, mold and mildew are close by, and humidity might be to blame.
- Floors are feeling sticky. Just like your windows, walls and ceilings, your floors can “sweat” in heavy humidity as well. If you feel like your feet are sticking and squishing when you walk through the house, humidity is your problem.
- Water stains appear. In addition to mold and mildew, water stains are also common in homes that are excessively humid. The moisture in the air can collect and pool, creating unsightly water marks on your ceilings, floors and sometimes even furniture surfaces.
Have you noticed any of these red flags around your home? If so, you may benefit from purchasing a standalone dehumidifier, or installing a central air system with dehumidifying capabilities.
To learn how Tyler Heating & Cooling can help you get your home’s humidity under control, call 203-378-4700 today.