Selecting the perfect temperature for your home’s cooling system can be tricky, especially when it comes to factoring cost-efficiency into the mix. Lucky for you, we’ve compiled a simple 5 step method to help you find that sweet spot to keep your family comfortable, and your wallet full!
- Start by setting your thermostat to 78 degrees, the most energy efficient setting as per Energy Star.
- Allow your home to adjust to this temperature setting and decide if 78 degrees is comfortable enough for you and your family.
- If you’re too warm, lower the thermostat by one degree at a time, allowing the house to adjust in between each degree drop. But remember, each degree below 78 can increase your energy consumption by 6-8% at a time.
- If the 78 degree mark is comfortable, try to up the ante a bit by raising the temperature one degree at a time. The warmer you’re able to withstand, the lower your energy costs will be.
- Once you find your ideal setting, program your thermostat to regulate your home to this temperature during the hours when you and your family will be home and awake. Then, set the temperature to bump up 4 degrees for the hours when you’ll be sleeping, and 7 degrees for the hours when you’ll be out of the house.
Follow these simple steps and your home will be cool and comfortable in no time. Of course you can adjust the dial on your manual thermostat as well, but the best way to regulate your home and your energy consumption is by using a programmable smart thermostat — and Tyler Heating, Air Conditioning, Refrigeration LLC can help you select and install one!
For more information about our hvac repair and installation services, call 203-378-4700 today.