5 Tips to Select the Perfect AC Temperature Settings
Warm weather is on the way, but it can be difficult to figure out how adjust your home from warm to cool as the seasons change. Below, you’ll not only find steps to help you determine your happy medium, but also tips to set your thermostat in such a way that you’re not wasting money to run your home’s air conditioner in the process.
- Begin at 78 degrees. According to Energy Star, this is the coldest temperature you should set your home at to cool your home while remaining economically friendly. Test it out for a bit and see if you’re comfortable with this temperature setting.
- Adjust the temperature. Raise or lower the temperature by a few degrees at a time depending on what is most comfortable for you. Once you’ve found your ideal setting, program your thermostat to keep it while you are home and awake. But, beware, the colder you drop the temperature, the more expensive it will be.
- Raise the bar. Bump up your home’s temperature by at least seven whole degrees when you are at work or out of the house. If you don’t have pets, you may even be able to get away with raising the temperature even higher while you are gone, saving you more money on your electricity bill.
- Save while you sleep. Set your thermostat to be at least four degrees higher than your day time temperature at night. Many people feel comfortable sleeping in a warmer climate, and are able to save more money in doing so.
- Take fans into consideration. Rooms that have ceiling fans can handle a temperature five degrees higher than your comfortable base setting. When the fans spin they create a cool breeze that allows higher temperatures to be more bearable.
Even the best home cooling tips won’t work if your air conditioner doesn’t. That’s why it’s so important to give your unit a test drive before it gets too hot, and call Tyler Heating, Air Conditioning, Refrigeration LLC to help you tune and repair it if need be.
To learn more about our air conditioning maintenance, installation and repair services, visit our website or call 203-378-4700.