1. Electrical Outlets & SwitchesThat’s right! Those teeny, tiny cracks and holes around your outlets and light switches can be sucking warm air out and letting cold air right in. Luckily this is a quick fix. Simply purchase and install some wall-plate sealers from your local hardware store, and voila!
2. High-Hat or Recessed LightingMuch like your electrical outlets, in order to install recessed lighting a hole must be cut in your home’s drywall, leaving it vulnerable for air leaks. Not to mention that hot air rises, so it’s likely to rise right up and out through these cracks. That’s why caulking around the lights is so important.
3. The Fireplace & ChimneyThere’s nothing like a crackling fire in the winter, but when the fire isn’t going you don’t want your hot air to be flowing. While most, if not all chimneys are equipped with a damper to keep the cold air out, it’s not common for these to become damaged so make sure you have it checked.
4. Plumbing Exit & Entry PointsA hole was cut through your home’s exterior, so it only makes sense that it will be more susceptible to air leaks. Make sure you’ve properly caulked around all plumbing point of entry — both where they enter the home, and where they enter each room.
5. Between the Wall & MoldingThese tiny cracks might seem insignificant, but they’re just as economically unfriendly as they are unsightly. Filling up the seams with caulk will offer a finished look that keeps cold air out, and warm air in.
While you’re sealing up your home for winter and eliminating sneaky air leaks, pay close attentions to your homes heating system. When was the last time you had your furnace serviced? If you’re having a hard time remembering, consider calling in a professional to come take a look.
If you live in Fairfield County, New Haven County or the surrounding areas and are looking to get your furnace up and running for fall, Tyler Heating & Air Conditioning is the obvious choice. With friendly, knowledgeable technicians, and a ton of fall installation and repair specials to choose from, we guarantee you’ll be 100% satisfied! For more details, call 203-378-4700 today.