Did you know the way you program your thermostat can significantly affect your energy costs? That’s right! Modern day, programmable thermostats are key when it comes to reducing energy usage while still heating and cooling your home efficiently throughout the cooler months. Sounds like a win-win to us!
First off, you must select your thermostat carefully.
The options are seemingly endless when it comes to thermostats these days, so we understand it can be a bit overwhelming. Here’s what you need to know about each of the four programming options:
- 7-Day: Enjoy the option to select a different heating/cooling schedule for each day of the week. This is best for those with no-so-set schedules, as it offers the most flexibility.
- 5-1-1: Work a normal 9-5, with a side job on saturday afternoon? Set your 5-day schedule one way, and your Saturday and Sunday schedules on their own individual plans.
- 5-2: If you don’t need to worry about differentiating Saturday’s heating/cooling capabilities from Sunday’s this option lets you schedule a weekday and weekend setting.
- 1-Week: If you’re not concerned with having different heating/cooling plans for different days, go with the 1-week option. This allows you to set one program that runs daily.
Now, start scheduling for the seasons!
- The ideal daytime temperature is 78 for summer and 68 for winter.
- Adjust your thermostat by 10-15 degrees lower when you sleep during winter. This should be done about an hour before bedtime.
- Make sure neither heating or cooling is running while you’re out, scheduling the unit to to shut down 20 minutes before you leave for the day.
- Have your unit automatically readjust to the daily temperature setting about 30 minutes before you wake up each morning.
- So be sure your home is perfect upon your return, schedule the unit to kick back on 20-30 minutes before you arrive home.
Need help selecting and programming your new thermostat? Our friendly technicians would love to lend a hand! Just call Tyler Heating, Air Conditioning, Refrigeration LLC at 203-378-4700 and schedule an appointment today.